Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Eve Eve

We had a last day of shopping and running around today, and tonight everything is quiet, except the wind outside!  I don't think we're going to have a white Christmas here in Nova Scotia -- the lovely snow from a week ago is all gone :(

I've got some last minute baking to do tomorrow, some last minute sewing and some present wrapping, and then I'll sing with the choir at our 10 pm Christmas Eve Eucharist.  Then we'll be all set for Christmas!

On Christmas Day my Mum will come over about 1 pm and we'll open our presents.  One of the nice things about a strictly adult Christmas is that everyone involved gets to sleep in!  Our current tradition is to focus on the small sorts of gifts that fit in Christmas stockings, rather than give large or expensive presents to each other.

I'm just cooking a small dinner, just for my Mum, my husband David and me.  We're going to break with the traditional turkey, so I've got a lovely roast beef which I'll prepare with Yorkshire Pudding, roast potatoes, green beans, carrots and gravy.    We've got a Christmas pudding for pudding for my English husband and my mum, and I'll have something yummy, maybe whip up some meringues.  Or I'll just eat part of the Terry's Chocolate Orange I hope is in my stocking!

Then we'll lie about, feeling stuffed and happy, and snuggle the cats ...

Will our Christmas pud look like this?  I doubt it!
But for now, I need to get back to my mini-stitching which I hope to share with you tomorrow.  I'm needlepointing a cover for a little footstool for my Mum's Edwardian Roombox, as part of her Christmas stocking gifts, which will include a lot of minis for her room!  I like the design, which I made myself, but I managed to lose one version of it, so I've been stitching like a mad thing for the last day, trying to redo it!

I hope all your seasonal preparations are going well :)

8 comments:

  1. Hello Nina! I also wish you and your family a Merry Christmas!
    hugs, Caterina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina,
    Merry Christmas to you and your family!
    Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you and your family a wounderfull Xstmas!
    Love from Roma
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas, Nina. I hope you and yours have a lovely day. Irene X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nina,

    I didn't realise your husband was English! We have beef, pork and turkey as part of our Christmas dinner...though no Yorkshire pudding! :o)Terry's Chocolate orange (I think this is British too?) is something my Mum buys my Sister and I (stocking fillers! lol), although I always have a plain chocolate one, whereas she has milk choc one! lol

    We still have snow here and that's unheard of in my part of the UK.

    Anyhow, wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a great New Year.

    Michelle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best Of The Season To You And Yours Nina. The roast beef sounds good ... our tea will also have a UK theme ... Lamb and all the trimmings topped off with a British style pud and sauce.

    Cheers,

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nina!
    Your Christmas dinner menu is Exactly the same as mine except for the Christmas Pudding! I too am having an adult celebration... both sons are home and my Mother is here (and doing most of the cooking which she loves to do!)
    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas Nina and a Happy New Year too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails